12.19.2006

Let the fun and/or misery begin

Much to the delight of what I would estimate to be about 85 to 90 percent of their fandom, Brad Childress has named Tarvaris Jackson the starting QB for Thursday's game against the hated Cheeseheads. This probably means that Brad Johnson is done -- at least, as a member of the purple and gold.

I'm well aware that playing a rookie quarterback -- especially one from a college program that doesn't face top-notch competition and/or media scrutiny (in Jackson's case, Alabama State) -- is not ideal, but it's either play this guy and see what he's made of so we can draft and make other transactions as necessary to suit his style of play or keep him sitting behind the league's oldest starting quarterback who definitely has looked like said signal caller. (If I had a dollar for each time I heard that on either Fox or CBS this year during their telecasts, I could've bought a round of drinks for all in attendance at Stars and Stripes [the home of the Northern Virginia Vikings Fan Club] this past Sunday.)

My prediction for Thursday (8 p.m. Eastern, 7 p.m. Central [NFL Network for those outside the Twin Cities and Green Bay viewing areas; KSTP {"Channel 5"} in "the Cities"]):
Vikings 17
Packers 14

1 comment:

Mark C. Wills said...

Guess I was a wee bit off in my prediction. Oh well...