11.20.2006

I lied (about not being able to post, that is)

I would be remiss if, at a minimum, I didn't pass along a note of praise for my friend Chris' "new music" group, the Great Noise Ensemble, which I had the good fortune to hear this past Friday (11.17.06) at the Sumner School.

During the performance, they performed:
  • a ritornello centered on variations on late-16th- and early-17th-century sacred music composer Michael Praetorius' "Puer Natus in Bethlehem";
  • a concerto with 10 movements - each featuring a different instrument or instruments - by GNE tubist Blair Goins (second and fourth movements featuring banjo and cello and piano, respectively, available for online listening);
  • a four-movement piece by violinist Heather Figi entitled "The Softest Bite," which draws heavily from Satie (his "GymnopĂ©dies" are among my favorite "classical" works) and the vamping of jazz bassist Avishai Cohen (I didn't pick these components out - it was in the program); and
  • a post-modern classical fusion extravaganza called General Electric, which, to my mind, evoked the pomposity of ELP, the sonic density of Mellon Collie-era Smashing Pumpkins, the symphonic ambitions of The Moody Blues (circa 1967), the Kraut-electro-rock of Tangerine Dream, and the Americana of Copland (these, I picked out, but have not had confirmed nor denied).
It's true that the type of music GNE plays is not for everyone (I'll admit to having a bit of difficulty with some of the work myself), but if you're a bit adventurous and appreciate musicianship in a very pure form (and you live in or around DC), you should definitely give them a listen.

*** out of ****

No comments: