11.22.2006

The crime of the century

43 years ago today, a bright fall day in Texas turned to tragedy. I have to admit that, for many a year now, I have had a gruesome fascination with American political assassinations -- from the well-known and über-discussed (JFK and Lincoln) to those barely registering anymore in the historical memory (Garfield and McKinley). For example:
My curiosity for the morbid has now broadened into one for the generally darkly criminal (e.g., The Devil in the White City, which I just finished yesterday and recommend highly for anyone with like interests or just plain history buffs [e.g., the Ferris Wheel and Juicy Fruit gum both made their debuts at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition]).


On a lighter note, I hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow.

No comments: